linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

6.20.2011

Chemo Day 1



Lucy's day began around 4:00 this morning.  The nurse came in to draw labs and started fluids.  There was a paperwork snafu, so actual Chemo didn't get started until 9:30ish.  It's in full swing now and Lucy is doing well.  This morning she got Ativan and Benadryl to help with nausea.  Then she received Amifostin, Cisplatin and Vincrystin.  The last two are Chemo drugs and the Amifostin is a recovery med that protects against hearing loss.  Used to, every child that took Cisplatin would end up with hearing aids.  It can do some major damage to your hearing.  Thank God for Amifostin, as it protects the hearing and does a darn good job!  The ironic thing is that the Amifostin causes more nausea than the Chemo drug.  Almost immediately after receiving it this morning, she began vomiting. 


She's only been sick a few times this morning, so we are so very thankful for that.  As the nurse was getting suited up in her protection garb (yeah, protection) I was so nervous I thought I was going to vomit.  It was awful.  I had been preparing myself for a horrible day and so far its not been too bad.  She's gotten up to pee more times than I can count.  Actually, I have to keep track of it, so I know that she has gone over 2000 cc's since 8:00am.  That's more than 2 liters of urine!  These Chemo drugs are very hard on the kidneys so it is important that she goes at least every 2 hours (including through the night). 

She is about to get another round of Amifostin, so we are preparing for a round of yuckies.  We've buckled down for a long day and night.  God continues to provide peace and courage for all of us.  Thank you for your prayers.


post signature

18 comments:

  1. We are praying every day for sweet Lucy and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel like we've been "absent" in posting comments for a while, but you all have never left our thoughts & prayers! Love, courage, and peace to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two make quite a team!!! Reading about all that you've both endured so far today, let alone the past 4 months, and it's as if you're a pro at this...both of you! Obviously cancer, radiation, and chemo are NOT things you want to be good at BUT, through God's grace, mercy, and peace you are both being made stronger through every step of your journey! It's amazing and inspiring to watch (actually, read) as you share your lives with all of us. It gives me hope...not only for Lucy, but for me....that as a mom and wife, I can make it through even my deepest, darkest fears if I put my hope and trust in Him. I may not know you Kate, but your true character shines through and Lucy is truly blessed to have YOU by her side through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to here it has been better than you thought. I am following another blog http://www.tanner.celiamusic.net/ and it breaks my heart to so many little children so sick. I hope she feels up to using her IPAD soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kate,

    I've been following your blog for quit some time and also following Lucy's progress with this nasty disease. I love that even though she's sick, she can still smile. I'll be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanking God for miracles and the medicines He created to provide them! She looks too darn cute & happy in her hospital bed! It takes a strong little girl to pull that off. Give her love from Coco. She continues to pray "God bless Lucy" at the end of her nite-nite prayers each day...and even some times after the blessing. Many prayers coming from me for you sweet friend. I know your phone time is limited but if the days ahead get long and you would like some "company," please call me. I'm always here. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there Lucy, this will be done soon. You are such a trooper and a sweet girl. Always praying for you.

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many thoughts and prayers going your way and you continue this trek of recovery for sweet Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you today and for Lucy. THank you for sharing your daily successes and struggles; it helps me remember to not take anything for granted with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter-in-law, who has been battling a brain tumor for about 21 months, got some great news at Duke last week. The tumor's center is gone; it now looks like a doughnut with a hole in the middle. Dr was excited that it is breaking apart and appears to be dying. Just keep on "keeping on" and putting your trust in the good Lord to get you through each day. Have been so touched by little Lucy even though I only know her through your blog. Will continue to pray for her daily as I lift up my Courtney.
    Isabel Woods--Charleston, MS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please know that I am always checking your site for an update on sweet Lucy and your entire family. I am hoping this journey you are in now goes as smooth as possible and Lucy is home as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you have an iphone, I'd recommend the app icancer...it helps keep track of all medications, treatments, side effects, chemo days, etc. Super helpful with all the medical vocab flying around! Nice to have yourself as well.
    Prayers to Lucy and the family.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you in Kansas- just one more prayer to add to the hundreds you're already receiving!! Hang in there, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate,
    I am forever praying for you, Lucy, and the rest of your family as you endure this long journey. I pray that God will give you all the strength and courage you need to face everyday until this horrible disease is gone from her little body! God Bless You!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each time I read your posts my heart goes out to your family and especially sweet Lucy. I send love and prayers each and everyday even if I do not comment on here. I have several family members that also pray and ask for updates on Lucy. You are a strong and amazing woman!!

    ReplyDelete