linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

9.23.2013

Finding a Happy Medium



The other day my Mom and I went to Memphis for a meeting and spent some time talking on the way down about what social media has done to parenting.  Is it just me or do mothers in particular feel a crazy amount of pressure to "keep up with Joneses" more than ever?  In my opinion it's so hard to be the best mother you can be, much less trying to be the best mother everyone else can be.

One of the areas I struggle most is with feeding my kids the most nutritious, healthy food and beverages. Thanks to the busy schedules of 3 children and 2 adults we sometimes have to make quick meal decisions that don't always include a happy food triangle.  Although we very seldom ever eat fast food, I end up cooking more pasta and casseroles than I probably should.  I also struggle with making sure that my children stay adequately hydrated.  I feel as if I am constantly telling them to "drink!"

One solution I have found that has actually worked is making sure that I just don't buy soft drinks at all. This has been a huge adjustment for us and I will admit that Erik and I don't always follow the rules, but the kids, for the most part, do really well with healthier options in the refrigerator. In the summer months I try to keep the outside refrigerator stocked full of fruit juice and water.  Our family favorite is Capri Sun 100% Juice.



I mean seriously, don't these kiddos look like they are having a blast in the sun today?

 

 


Even though I feel like it sometimes, I'm not a doctor or even a nurse. I can tell you from experience, however, what dehydration can do to a little body.  Those smiling little faces will quickly become grouchy, irritable, tired monsters.  Well, maybe not monsters but your children will sure be zapped of all their energy.  My three children can go from "time-of-their-lives" to "whose-child-is-this?"


My summer drink of choice is Capri Sun 100% Juice because it is all natural and every pouch has 1 1/2 servings of fruit*.  It's a drink your children already love and you can feel good as a mom giving it to them.  No worries of added sugar and preservatives.  The Capri Sun website has a ton of great information about their wholesome varieties that you might want to check out and they also have a Facebook page you can join as well.  Let's all be safe and enjoy the rest of our hot summer days!



post signature

*Each pouch provides ¾ cup fruit juice, which is 1 ½ servings of fruit according to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines.  As part of a well-balanced diet, eat a variety of fruit every day and be sure to make most of your fruits whole fruits.



post signature

6 comments:

  1. Love this post and your last sentence in the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Capri Suns. My son is allergic to artificial dye and it is nearly impossible to find kid's drinks without dye, so we have these at nearly every picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time you put up this commercial post I tried to be respectful because I know how much you love your kids and how hard you work to keep them healthy. This time I’m just too tired. Juice is bad for kids (it’s bad for adults too – way too much sugar; way to many calories; not enough fibre; not filling enough) no matter how much they like it. You could give them pop and wouldn’t be doing any more damage. Kraft – the makers of Capri Sun were actually sued it’s so bad for kids. Give your kids an apple if you want them to eat healthily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy is more beautiful every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. desperateforavacationSeptember 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM


    my kids are 21 and 15. Drank Capri Sun through school, soccer, birthday parties, and they loved them.

    They turned out just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Capri Sun pouches were a staple in my house until the MOLD issue made headlines. The Kraft company even admitted the presents of this fungus in it's products, compared it to Bread Mold. I personally will not purchase a loaf of molded bread, I cautiously examine the loaf before adding it to my cart. I also refuse to feed my children molded bread. So I stopped purchasing them or any pouch/box drink. Why would I waist my money on something that I can not guarantee is edible? Here is the Company's Official Statement released to CBS http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/capri-sun-juice-makers-release-statement-on-mold-found-in-pouchers
    http://www.LaGringaLoca.me

    ReplyDelete