linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

9.18.2013

Girl Unstoppable

 


I was lucky enough to be chosen by Dove® and their Girls Unstoppable project to participate in a great self-esteem building activity with Ella, my oldest daughter. Ella will be 10 next month and I have been so overwhelmed lately with the idea of her growing up. It's happening right in front of my eyes. It seems as if I blinked and she was grown.

A conversation my friends and I have been having lately is when the appropriate time is to talk to our daughters about "life" issues. We all agree that time will dictate those specifics, but right now we are all mostly concerned about self-esteem and body issues. I have never had a perfect body and have had to work hard most of my life to keep my weight down. One thing I have tried very hard to do is refrain from talking about weight and my body dislikes in front of my girls. Peer pressure and societal standards will be hard enough for them to endure. I don't ever want to be a part of adding any additional expectations. While I want my girls to be healthy, there is a fine line to walk and I feel as if sometimes I'm walking on a tight rope.

 

I visited the Dove website and was able to download some great activities, videos and discussion guides. I think Dove has done a great job putting these tools into the hands of us all, but especially those mothers who may struggle when it comes to talking with their daughter. The activity that Ella and I participated in was a conversation about feelings. Expressing feelings has actually been something that both of my daughters have struggled with since Lucy's illness. Just setting the stage for discussion has been so important for Ella and me.
 

 

Some of the things we discussed were, "What do you like about yourself? What are your biggest strengths? How do you want to feel about your own unique beauty? What can I do to help you with opportunities for growth and to make tangible goals?" Anyone who knows Ella realizes that she is going to be a woman to reckon with one day. She has a great head on her shoulders, she is talented, smart and beautiful. It is my mission in life to make sure she never forgets it!

 


If you are looking for a great way to open the door to conversation with your daughter, visit Dove's website and download the self-esteem tool kit.  I think you will be glad you did!


post signature

 

6 comments:

  1. Ella is just so beautiful!!! She's growing up too quick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next week, my school is starting a program in which I have to teach 8th grade girls for an hour or so about bullying. I think I will use the Dove program to connect bullying with self esteem...I think there is a huge connection between the too. Thanks for this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, Thank you for ALL you do and WHO you are! This is great information. Thank you for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passport to Purity by Family Life is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks a mm azing! She a good cleaner? She cook a lot?

    ReplyDelete