linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

10.28.2013

Are you Weary?



Tonight I did homework with my children, cooked dinner, cleaned the kitchen and sang my baby boy to sleep.  It may not seem like much but It's been almost 2 weeks since I've done that and I have missed it so much.

While the Auction and Dinner was worth every amount of sacrifice, I am glad it is over.  The day after the auction, our school's Headmaster had to unexpectedly resign due to health problems (please keep him in your prayers.)  As a school board member, I've been doing some extra duties around the school to help out.  We've had lots of meetings and its taken me away from home.


I am thankful for what I have termed "body amnesia."  (Is there an official term for this?)  I think God has programmed our bodies with a certain form of amnesia that allows us to be pushed to extreme limits and then forget about how hard it was.  Like childbirth, for example.  If we remembered how hard it was would we really ever have a second child?  Or caring for a new born?  If we remembered how utterly exhausted we were during that time we would ever be willing to do it again.  Stop now and think honestly about your memories of those time.  I bet you can't remember just how bad it was, can you?

I can tell you that I honestly don't remember many details about the first month of Lucy's time in the hospital after her diagnosis.  I was going on multiple days without sleep and it was only by the grace of God that I even put one foot in front of the other.  And while I know I was tired, I don't remember it.  That's how I feel right now about the Dinner and Auction.  I am thankful tonight for my body's amnesia so that I can plan the next one!

This past week was hard with the resignation and then us, as a board, trying to find an Interim.  I know I am opening myself up for criticism.  Well, let me just save some of you the trouble.  "Why would you ever think about agreeing to serve on a school board  when you have so many obligations at home that you constantly talk about."  I won't deny that that is a good question.  The answer, however, is a little complicated.

You see, when we decided to move to our town, we knew that Christian education was something we wanted for our children.  I love the public schools here in town.  They are the schools I attended growing up.  They are the schools where my best friends teach.  Our schools are filled with amazing students and administrators.  Our High School has been wining awards left and right as one of the best in Tennessee.  However, what Erik and I wanted was a Christ centered education, so that is the decision we have made.  It hasn't always been the most popular with others, but it's whats best for our family.


Our school started as a tiny vision of a few people and it has grown by leaps and bounds.  I am so excited about its future and its potential is off the charts.  The only problem is that it takes the work of a lot of volunteers to make it happen.  Erik and I give a lot of time and energy to ensure that the school is a success.  But recently, the school has become so much more to us.  While I know that God will always provide for our needs, right now TCA is the school we NEED, not just want, for Lucy.

With TCA having small class sizes and academic achievement worthy of high accolades, Lucy is thriving.  She is able to get the one on one attention that she needs on a daily basis.  I'm not saying that Jack and Ella aren't important or a part of the equation, I am just acknowledging that when you have a child with special learning needs those priorities often have to be considered fore most.  Lucy has surpassed so many expectations and continues to surprise us on a daily basis.  So, we put a lot of time into the school because it is so important to and for our family.

(No, its not what you think it is.  There are no surprises coming our way)

I continue to be amazed at what God can and will do when we ask Him.  I am amazed how he has worked in our family's life, in the life of our school and in the life of Lucy.  Every day I am reminded that there really is a master plan for us all.  Don't believe that?  Well, that's unfortunate.  I could not imagine walking around every day with no greater purpose in my life.  I think that would be a lonely road to travel.   I find so much comfort in knowing that there is a greater being who holds the keys to my future.  I sang this to Jack tonight, and I find myself humming it throughout the day..." I sing because I'm happy.  I sing because I'm free.  His eye is on the Sparrow.  So I know He watches me."

I will sleep tonight, laying my burdens at His feet because I know he cares.  He is ready to carry them and can certainly handle them better than I ever could.



"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Matthew 11:28

post signature

13 comments:

  1. desperateforavacationOctober 29, 2013 at 7:18 AM

    You are being a mom! A good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an exceptionally awesome Mom. But more than that you set an example for all of us. I needed to your words today. Thank you. You are all in my prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an awesome mom and I love that table cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) keep up the good work :)
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. I burned the memory of no sleep in my brain once Ivee was born. Her cancer journey only solidified it! I remember and have no form of physical amnesia from that at all. I think because physical rest is so important to me, it might be different for you and I. What I seem to have is help amnesia. That's when you forget why you didn't want to work on an event, program, or help people out ever again. I have that, and right now am suffering for it! :) Oh, well. It is what it is. Love you, Kate. Will by back in Memphis for Ivee's sleep study the week before Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's awesome that you and your husband work hard to make the school your children attend better and better. Hope you get some good rest quickly:)
    http://ourlittlefamily-allison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHH!! When did Jack become a little man? He looks so grown up in that picture, I almost couldn't believe it was him! I think that's the first time I've seen him in a picture & not thought of him as a baby. Well, baby or not, he's still adorable! Glad you were able to have a "relaxing" night at home with all three of your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, my boys attend a small, private christian school and I wouldn't have it any other way! You don't have to make any excuses for your decisions. Private schools have so much more to offer when it comes to learning issues and flexibility. I know this first hand!



    I also loved your comment about child birth! You are so right!!! I remember laying in the hospital bed in labor telling my husband I could never do this again due to the pain and two years later a little brother came along!


    Good luck and one day it will slow down!


    signed....a reader in Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate,
    I believe you have your proprieties right. God needs to be first in our lives always and teaching your children about Him and having their education centered around Him is very important. Also, being involved in their education is important be it at home or in school.


    Praying for your headmaster who resigned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who is that big boy holding a toothbrush? What happened to baby Jack? Why am I thinking about a post a few years ago about a toddler who had climbed up on the furniture while you turned your back for a second?


    I am so happy the dinner was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you feel like you have to justify your school involvement. As parents we throw ourselves heart and soul into making things better for our kids and you are doing that on a bunch of fronts. You are a great role model Kate. Yay for body amnesia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. no need to justify anything. God knew the plan when he had you and Eric do the school. Always praying for your entire family. Love the body amnesia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the comments about not having to justify. We, too, chose Christian education for our sons who are now graduated. My husband still works at the school and I just recently came off the board. They will always be special to us. This particular post is not debate private vs. public schools, but more about spreading yourself extremely thin. I remember ;)

    ReplyDelete