It's been 35 days today since I started the Whole 30 induction. Just like the book told me, it wasn't hard. Now, it wasn't easy but it wasn't hard. It took a lot of determination and a whole lot more will power. But I've done it and I'm so proud. I will say this and I mean every word "it has changed my life." Do it--seriously. Do it. Start tomorrow. Don't procrastinate.
Here are areas in which I've noticed a difference:
- Sleep. Like seriously, I sleep. I've not taken an Ambien (sleeping pill) in 35 days. Day one on the plan I slept.
- Energy- I haven't had a drop of caffeine since I started and I can go from 6am-11pm without missing a beat.
- Brain- no more foggy brain. This has been one of the most exciting changes I have noticed. I can complete thoughts, I'm more organized, I don't forget dates and names. I was beginning to get really worried about my tendency to forget what I was saying mid-sentence.
- No Hot Flashes- At 36 years old I was having hot flashes all day long. The kind of hot flashes that start from your core and make you want to jump out of your skin.
- No Headaches - Besides sinus headaches, I haven't had low blood sugar headaches at all. What a welcome change!
- Change in Taste Buds - I crave fruit, veggies and salads. That's it. After my 30 days was up I tried a Diet Coke and some tortilla chips and couldn't stomach either! I threw my Sonic DC away after one sip and gave the chips to my girls. I was blown away! Water is the only thing I drink and it is so satisfying.
- Weight loss- This isn't the reason I did it but I am happy to say I have lost over 10 pounds! Woo Hoo!
What I love about Whole 30 is that there is nothing to buy. No pills, no shakes. Nothing. All you do is just choose to eat healthy and wise. The way God intended us to eat. God has given me one body and one shot on this earth. I am committed to taking care of what I have and I want to be able to set a great example for my children. Erik has been doing it with me and he looks amazing! He's lost over 22 pounds and is still losing. I am so proud of his commitment.
If you are interested in the program I recommend starting with the book above, It Starts with Food. It tell you everything you need to know about getting started but also explains in layman's terms the science behind why eating this way is good for your body. Two cookbooks that I am in love with are below. Against All Grains and Well Fed.
Learning to eat healthy and trying out new recipes in the process has been such an exciting adventure. We try something new almost every night and Erik is always excited to see what I'm cooking. We are both going to stick with the really strict induction phase for a while. After that, we will switch over to a Paleo diet that aligns itself very closely with the Whole 30. If you try it, please let me know what you think!