linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

12.03.2013

Answered Prayers



Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 
2 Samuel 7:18



This verse was recently introduced to me by a very dear friend.  I admire this lady so much and respect her willingness to listen and obey God's Word.  After our day at St. Jude yesterday I can't help but to say this verse over and over and over in my mind and heart.  I don't know if there has ever rung more true and appropriate verse that this.  King David goes on to praise God, admitting "you know God what I am really like."  

Does this verse speak to you the way it speaks to me?  There is nothing that I can do, will do or could do that would deserve God's favor.  Nothing.  Do you hear me?  NOTHING.  Yet..yet.  His mercies are new everyday.  Lucy's clean scans yesterday were a blessing that none of us deserved, yet He granted us his favor one more day.  

As Dr. W called us back to the room to discuss the results of the scans she told me that her nurse said we were sitting in the waiting room with looks of terror on our face.  I told her that might be the biggest understatement of the year.  Terror might have been on our faces but we could hardly breathe as we sat there.  Lucy was asleep, still out from sedation.  Erik and I couldn't talk to each other, we couldn't even swallow.  I felt as if my heart was in my throat and it took everything I had not to throw up what little lunch I had been able to swallow.

And the crazy thing is is that we didn't even expect bad news.  We had no reason to believe that anything but good news would come from the scans.  There is just so very much at stake.  Lucy has fought so hard to regain her life and she now actually has a good life worth fighting for.  Not that before she didn't, it's just now the stakes are so high.  She has come so far.

I relate it to the man who leaves every morning to go to work.  He walks out of the house anticipating nothing.  Go to work and come home.  That's all.  Now, he may be involved in an accident or suffer a major heart attack that could change his life forever, but he wasn't anticipating it.  We, on the other hand, leave our house on the morning of scans and have reason to wonder if we will return.  Everything we know, live and pray for can change in one second.  In the 5 syllables that it would take to say "cancer has returned" our lives would go back into the downward spiral that consumed our family for 2 years.  That place would be hard to return.  I never, ever want to go back there again.

So, yes, we walk in faith.  We trust God to continue looking upon Lucy and our family with favor but we can never forget.  Those were long, hard days filled with despair.  Unfortunately they aren't far enough away from our memories.  Everything is still too fresh; too raw.  So for a while each scan will be loaded with anxiety and worry while being bathed in unending prayer.



post signature

22 comments:

  1. What wonderful and comforting news to hear~~I hope Lucy and your family can bathe is this good news for her and celebrate and enjoy this Wondrous and Holy Season. God has indeed wrapped you in his Glory and Love...Merry Merry Christmas Blessings.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best Christmas present that anyone could ever ask for! God bless your family, Lucy will be in my prayers for years and years to come
    Lots of love,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Amen, and Amen to your comment. Praising God for His mercy and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful for clear scans! Love to Lucy.
    J & K in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the scans were clear??? What a great Christmas gift for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful picture of Lucy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is good all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rejoicing in gratefulness with you and your family... thank you for so transparently sharing with us. Your girl is well-loved, and although the road has been treacherous and long, {and more than I can ever imagine}, she has undoubtedly brought many to their knees to talk to our loving God. I believe the faith of many has been strengthened because of Lucy's story, and your beautiful job of sharing it.
    Love your opening scripture. Will wear that on my heart for days to come as I work to remind myself of His unending love, mercy, and grace, for which I don't deserve.
    Hugs to you and your family; her pic deserves a frame! :)
    Selena Bragg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, your words speak SO strongly of God's Mercy and Grace.
    Horray for clean scans.
    Now rest in the peace of it all and have a Blessed Christmas Season.
    Kristi - WA State

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy to hear of your good news!!
    Happy Holidays!
    Me in MI.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful news! Happy holidays to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise God...what a beautiful Christmas blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Rejoicing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope her scans were clear. I'm thinking they are?!?!? Hope you all have a HAPPY and PEACEFUL Christmas!!! Please give Lucy a hug from me!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to read this Kate! Hugs to your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOU are amazing. Tears are running down my face. You lift me up. You speak the words I always need to hear. Thank God scans are clear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank You Father!!! Oh I am so, so happy for you all!
    Each day is a gift so we must live each day to the fullest.


    Blessings and always praying for Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks be to God for clear scans. May you enjoy this holiday season all the more with this behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. She looks GREAT! Really good! Her hat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete