linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

12.30.2013

Too Old for This

Warning: this is an awfully whiny post.


So how many times have you heard people say "I'm too old for this?"  It usually applies to raising children, dealing with grandchildren, exercising...you get the drift.  For me, today, it's hospitals and sickness.  Erik and I say all the time that Lucy's cancer took at least 10 years off our lives.  I am really feeling it these days.  Since before Christmas Lucy has been battling this eye infection.  We spent another day at St. Jude today meeting with doctors and reviewing treatment options.  They are saying that it is probably staph so we are having to treat it aggressively. Thankfully we squeaked by again today with no hospital stay.

My best friend Amanda went with Lucy and me today and we stayed in a doctors office for 6 hours today.  I appreciated so much that the doctors understood my concern.  We met with oncology, infectious disease and opthamology.  Everyone that entered our room took the time to listen to this stressed out, worried and anxious momma.  They all understood the past history and were all working together to come up with the perfect plan for our sweet girl.

We will be going back to St. Jude at least 2 more days this week. What a way to spend our last week of Christmas break.  I know it could be a lot worse.  We've lived a lot worse and today I was reminded that too many children are living the worse right now.  I have so much to be thankful for but sometimes its easy to get bogged down in the moment.

Two days after Christmas another little girl from our town named Lillie got diagnosed with bladder cancer.  She has a good prognosis but a long road ahead of her.  Please pray for her and her family.  As you can imagine they are very scared right now and are just trying to comprehend what is going on.  There are still decisions to make concerning her treatment but they know they are in the best hands at St. Jude and in the only hands that matter--God's.





post signature

10 comments:

  1. I've been so worried about Lucy's eye infection since you posted on the 26th. She's been in my prayers. I am glad you were able to update.....I've been checking and praying you weren't in the hospital. She is such a fighter....you all are. You are all in my prayers. I hope it will respond to treatment quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bettie gobble, Col.3:17December 31, 2013 at 3:59 AM

    staph is ugly!! we have dealt with it in our family of grands!! praying and trusting all will be well with lucy's eye infection and for you....one tired mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - by NO means was that a whiney post.
    It was from the heart of a very concerned mama.
    Praying for the right treatment for Lucy and no hospital time.
    Kristi
    WA State

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for Lucy and Lillie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sure wasn't what I call whiney. We continue to pray for Lucy's eye infection. I'm glad Amanda was able to go with you all - what a long day at the doctors. Lillie has also been added to our prayer list - we must find a cure- I pray that 2014 is the year. Blessings to all of you from NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you Lucy and Kate. This is hard and you are doing so well under the stress. Lifting your whole family up to God for His hand of healing both physically, mentally and spiritually. Lifting Lillie up to Father too. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweetie you have to gently with great kindness cut yourself some slack. You're too old for this? Nobody at any age should have to deal with what you and your dear family have had to deal with. When my four year old nephew went through cancer treatment his dad, the youngest of us four, aged so much that people mistook him as the oldest in the family. Btw, that 4 year old is now 21 and just got accepted into law school.
    We continue to pray for Lucy and have added Lillie to our prayers. Also, prayers for strength and stamina for you and Erik. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. desperateforavacationJanuary 1, 2014 at 4:17 AM

    Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am praying for Lucy's eye to completely heal and quickly. I am so sorry that you are needing to deal with this again. And don't apologize for being "whiny." You have every right to feel frustrated Kate and this is real life sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My prayers are continuly with you. Adding Lillie to my prayer list as well.

    ReplyDelete