linehomedotaboutdotcontactdotlucy's storydotgo lucy go foundationline

10.03.2011

A Gentle Reminder

Today served a (not-so) gentle reminder that my daughter is still sick and still has a ways to go before we can go home.  She vomited more today than she has in a long time.  Ativan, Benadryl...they were no match for Lucy.  We arrived at St. Jude around 9:00 this morning and didn't leave until after 4:00.  It was a long day to say the least.  Lucy received platelets and that always takes a long time.  What stinks is that she will probably need blood tomorrow, so we are looking at another long, long day.  She was so tired tonight she actually slept through her dressing change.  That has never happened before!

Please continue to pray for our friend Lanie.  Her parents are living my worst nightmare.  My heart is literally broken for them.  I am not at liberty to post their Caringbridge site, but I appreciate so many asking.  Please just know that they are taking a very sick baby home and are committed to loving her until the bitter end.  Lanie has been blessed with amazing parents and they are firmly planted in the will of God.  Lanie may have many years, or she may not.  I could say the same for my Lucy and every other child here.  As a matter of fact, none of us are guaranteed anything more than the moment. 

I've learned to cherish that moment.  I soak in every smile, every laugh, every tear. 

I went to the exercise room tonight after my couch to 5k training.  As I was crossing from Target House 1 to TH 2, I stopped to watch all the little bald-headed children playing to care free on the playground.  The playground is absolutely amazing and this Memphis weather matched perfectly tonight.  My eyes filled with tears as I thought about how many families are displaced and how many children have become adjusted to this new life of theirs.  Some mothers were talking to each other.  Some were alone, clearly deep in thought and pondering their current situation.  Selfishly, it makes me happy to leave this place.  It's hard seeing that every, single day.  On the other hand, there is an unspoken solidarity that binds us mothers and familes together as we fight our individual monsters.  This place, St. Jude and Target House, has been very good to us.  They have both given us Hope. 

More tomorrow night.  Thank you for always praying. 


post signature

8 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray. Asked my blog readers to pray tonight as well. We'll continue on. Prayer is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight, we went to a fundraiser for St. Judes with Paul Overstreet and friends at Hard Rock in Biloxi! I couldn't help but think of ya'll! So glad to hear things are a little better for Lucy. I continue to pray for complete healing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always praying for your Lucy and all of the precious children at St. Jude who fight daily for their lives.

    Praying that sweet Lucy has a better day tomorrow....

    Sending love and hugs your way,
    Matt, Jenny, Caleb, Madelyn & Leah Underwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your blog and prayed for Lucy daily along her journey to remission! We hope things go well this month. It's amazing how many people have viewed your blog so many prayers going up! Love from Nashville!
    The brooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bleh. Not good times. So sorry for Lanie and her family. How sad. God has been doing amazing things for you, through you, and through your situation. Still...I look forward to a day when your world is back to something that resembles a more normal life. Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for every moment. Go Lucy Go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so well spoken....your heart and your words. I have truly fallen in love with your little Lucy, and your family. I am grateful that you are giving voice to all the children and families of St. Jude and Target House to people like me, who have never had to walk in your shoes....thank you for continually humbling my heart, and causing me to bow my head before the throne of our mighty God....seeking for answers to the seemingly most difficult questions on human suffering...in particular, the suffering of children. Thank you for breaking my heart, through your brokenness, so that I can intercede for you to our heavenly Father...much, much love and many heartfelt tears ~ alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor girl! Continuing to pray and for others that are so ill too.
    Hang in there Kate. :)
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sm still praying in Covington. It will bring tears of joy to see Lucy back. You have been an inspiration to so many of us as you shared your ups and downs through your blog. God has given us a picture of His hope and love through Lucy's journey. I love her spirit, smile, and love...that beautiful spirit! See you all at home soon!
    In Christ,
    Susan White

    ReplyDelete